Saturday, December 07, 2002
According to a report by UNICEF on unexploded ordnance and mines in Vietnam:
* There are some 3.5 million landmines and 350,000-800,000 tonnes of unexploded ordnance scattered throughout Viet Nam.
* It would cost an estimated US$ 4-15 billion to clear these mines/ordnance.
* Over 38,000 people have been killed by unexploded ordnance/mines since the end of the Vietnam War in 1975.
* At least 64,000 additional people have been injured by unexploded ordinance/mines since the end of the war.
* The Vietnamese government estimates that there are some 2,000 casualties a year related to unexploded ordnance/mines.
Posted 7:31 pm by Matt Prescott